Tierra del Volcán | Hacienda el Porvenir
There has been a lot of news lately regarding the Cotopaxi volcano eruption. We’ve watched many of these reports ourselves, and we know first hand how confusing it can be to get accurate, timely information about what’s going on. We have asked ourselves many of the same questions you’ve been asking us. We are happy to report:
Tierra del Volcan is safe and open for visitors.
Our primary operations centre, Hacienda El Porvenir, is in a declared safe area. Our unique position – protected by surrounding hills – means we have the closest hotel to the volcano still open for business. This creates a truly unique, world-class volcano viewing experience other facilities cannot offer.
We have developed a brand new roster of activities. We offer everything from volcano climbing, to mountain biking, horseback riding, cooking classes and craft workshops. If you have any other ideas or suggestions, please let us know!
Nothing is more important than the safety of our visitors. We look forward to seeing you visit and see the fantastic views of an active volcano, from a completely safe area. It’s truly a unique experience.
- We’ve asked ourselves this same question. Nothing is more important to us than your safety. This is what we’ve been able to find out: we have data and scientific evidence that goes back thousands of years and covers over 20 of Cotopaxi’s past eruptions. This evidence clearly shows that in every single one of those eruptions, Hacienda El Porvenir, has not or would not have been affected.
- On the map of Volcanic History of Cotopaxi (shown below) you will see the areas which are affected. The arrow points to our location.
- We have also attached a letter from Patricia Mothes, vulcanologist from the Geophysical Institute in Quito, pointing out that our location, close to the Volcano, is completely safe. We are truly privileged to have such a unique location.
View Google maps image
The areas that are affected by Lahars | Hacienda el Porvenir location marked in red.
- We have data and scientific evidence that goes back thousands of years and covers over 20 of Cotopaxi’s past eruptions. This evidence clearly shows that in every single one of those eruptions, Hacienda El Porvenir, has not or would not have been affected by lahar / mud slides. We are protected by the surrounding hill sides
Map of risks of Cotopaxi by IGEPN
- Let’s take a closer look at the map. You see the lines that point the limits of the piroclastic flows marked with black dots. The piroclastic flows remain on the proximity of the volcanic cone, and are far away from our location.
- No. It may be surprising to you, but it´s actually a very peaceful and serene area. Cotopaxi is the backround. Tremors due to volcanic activity are not felt by people, but by highly sensitive monitoring equipment.
- No. We’ve mapped out the evacuation routes, from the hacienda and from different activity routes. We have plans that will allow anyone to return to Quito safely in the event of an eruption.
- We’ve asked ourselves these same question many times. This is when we realized – Ecuador is built on volcanoes! These volcanoes have been there for thousands of years long – before we’ve showed up. They are not going away. Volcanoes are a strong part of our history and culture. We have enough scientific data showing that the areas of affection in case of an eruption are distant form our property, but we totally understand the feelings many people may have, due to the lack of proper information.
- Absolutely! Nothing is more important for us than the safety of our clients. There are some activities that we are not offering at the moment, due to the temporary closure of the Cotopaxi National Park, but we have used this as an opportunity to revamp our activity roster.
- If you have questions or concerns regarding either our business operations or volcano activity in general, we want to hear from you. Please call us at +593 2 2041520 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to speaking with you.
Please check here the link to the official information provided by the Ministry of Tourism of Ecuador regarding the operation status for tourism on the area.
For these reasons, we keep our cancellation policies, until new announcements by authorities.
For any further information, please contact us.
Tierra del Volcán
+593 2 2041520 / + 593 2 6009533